Friday, October 21, 2016

Friday 21st October - day in the wilderness

Sad to say I didn’t sleep as well last night as I had the night before. Torrential rain and winds rocked the camper about and as I was not acclimatised to our location I had images of rising waters going through my head and had my doubts about the capacity of our RV to cope with such a battering.  I really should have had more faith, Harvey stood up to the challenge just fine.  You see, I had made use of my insomnia (I think some of my best thoughts and ideas hit me when I should be sleeping) and I had been struck with the perfect name for our new home.  The reason for this is threefold:

1) An homage to Harvey, aka Fluffy the Wonder dog, Simon’s first Police dog who was also an       RSPCA  rescue dog, (the RSPCA being ex-employers of mine)
2) Where we come from in Essex no one pronounces their ‘H’s so the name Harvey would be said ‘arvey sounding like RV
3) It rhymes – Harvey the RV

So that’s it in stone – from now on in this blog our camper will be referred to as Harvey.  Sorry to those of you who don't believe in anthropomorphism, deal with it.

Simon was oblivious to the overnight conditions and the weather had cleared in the most part by the morning.  The forecast warned of further rain later in the day so there was time to test the bikes out on the rugged terrain first.  We had been provided with maps, but I managed to leave the most relevant one in the RV!  I knew that there was a waterfall nearby so we just planned a relatively easy ride out to that.  But we lost our bearings completely and ended up travelling much, much further than planned and onto trails that were definitely more suited for the hiker rather than those on wheels.  We had to carry our bikes over boulders and pass them to each other down steep inclines that were too perilous for us novices to face.  We got up to some amazing viewpoints… or what would have been amazing viewpoints if it weren’t for some low cloud cover....

Look at the view!!
But the cloud did clear on occasion....



According to my Fitbit we did about 5 miles which does not sound anywhere near as painful as it was!  We were out from 11-230pm and so were understandably shattered when we got back, thankfully before the heavens opened and we battened down the hatches in Harvey.

I’m happy to say that our water heater is really fast and keeps the water warm for a good time too.  It was my first time using our on-board shower and it was lovely.  Due to the space being somewhat limited (and that’s for me!) the hot water heats up the cubicle in no time and the power isn’t too bad for a mini-shower.

I was very happy with our first outdoors day having missed getting much exercise since I broke my foot and looked forward to more of the same. 
There was hardly anyone else on the campsite, apart from a group of lads who set up a tent but must’ve given up after the rain really set in that afternoon. But before that

First use of our camping chairs!
The beautiful sunshine before the rain arrived

It was a taste of what a State park must be like, very few people around and not much to be doing into the evening, we wouldn’t be partying into the small hours here!  This park was actually closing after the weekend for the winter.  That became a factor in the weeks ahead as we realised we had to get moving south to try and keep up with the warmer weather.  Winter is coming…..

Harvey tucked behind the trees


No comments:

Post a Comment