Saturday, November 5, 2016

Saturday 5th November – a Cordey hike

The plan was for an easy day and that was how it began.  A gloriously sunny Saturday.  We got our bikes out, cycled over to the main building with our washing and took full advantage of the free laundry.  Whilst waiting for that we made the most of the free Wi-Fi by skyping/ Facetiming as many family and friends as possible.  This hectic activity carried on into the afternoon.

Randomly, adjacent to the Aldersgate camp was a National Historic site – the Fitchburg Furnace:


Completed in 1870, it is the largest charcoal burning furnace in the world and in the top 25 dry-stone masonry structures in the world.  Sadly, after all that effort, it was only in operation for five years before the owners declared bankruptcy and the furnace fell into disrepair, only more recently being renovated by the Friends of Fitchburg Furnace.

I was feeling somewhat restless after the last few days on the road without any opportunity for exercise.  I studied the hiking maps and suggested a short-ish hike up to ‘Sugar camp cave’ as we hadn’t seen any caves yet this trip and it may offer us a lovely view down into the valley we were staying in.  By the time we left it must have been 3pm-ish.  There were colour-coded symbols embedded in the trees going up the hill to keep you on course.  Steep at times but within about 30 minutes we reached the cave:
I ventured in a certain distance with a torch but after finding a sizeable spider on the ceiling I was happy there was nothing more to see there!  

We hadn’t got to enjoy the view as I’d hoped and it was such a lovely evening…. I persuaded Simon that if we just carried on up to the top of the particular hill/ mountain we were on there MUST be a worthwhile view.  Then we’d just head back down again, easy!  Or not.  We were no longer on a defined trail and the going got tough.  The forest was still very dense so no stunning views and we lost our bearings.  It got to the stage when we knew we needed to head down but it was just hard to find a passable route!


In the end we had to just go for it.  The sun was getting low and the thought of trying to get down in the pitch black was not worth considering.  This was ridiculous – we could SEE the campsite below, it was just very much further down than us!  Having picked a route, we half-walked, half-skidded on our backsides and at one point literally climbed - without ropes - down the side of the mountain.  There were points where we had to wedge ourselves between tree roots and rock ledges to slow ourselves down and stop us falling down the hill.  It was whilst on one of these ledges that I suddenly grabbed my trouser pocket which was empty and asked Simon ‘have you got my phone?’ He did not have my phone…. And neither did I.  Panic.  I definitely had it earlier when I’d climbed on a rock to get a picture (evidenced above) and then tucked it into my back trouser pocket before sliding down a hill.  And it was on silent.  What are the chances of finding a black and green iPhone in dense foliage on the side of a mountain.  Is ‘Find my iPhone’ that accurate?!  Probably not.  Despair setting in, I stayed firmly wedged between a rock and a tree root (literally a hard place) feeling like a prize idiot, whilst Simon climbed back up the steep rock face we’d just climbed down, having told me firmly to ‘stay there’ (I don’t think he was impressed).  Somehow, Simon found my phone about 15 or 20 feet back where we’d come from.  I was gobsmacked having been convinced it was a goner.  Simon was the hero of the hour and within another 40 minutes we had scrambled our way back down to the retreat, not long before sunset.  Both of us had mud caked on our bottom halves and I’d managed to graze the inside of my right arm when I grabbed a tree trunk to steady myself during our descent.  We were bruised, exhausted and extremely hungry.  

Simon made us a lovely bonfire and we both relaxed with a cold beer and a barbecued steak for our efforts. 

It was very dark when we went to collect the rest of our washing!















I have a habit of wanting to go just-that-bit further or just-that-bit higher on one of my treks and this was a vivid reminder of what can go wrong.  I promised Simon that I would go easier on him in the future and we’d stick to the marked trails next time.  No more Cordey-hikes into the unknown!

No comments:

Post a Comment