Friday, September 1, 2017

Friday 1st September – France, the Mediterranean to the Alps



Whatever I may have said about the room, I did have a much better night’s sleep here than in the oppressive heat and awkwardness of Girona.

Waking up to much-improved conditions outside than we arrived in, it didn’t take much to motivate me to throw my bikini on, grab my sarong and walk out to the beach.  I had a lovely swim in the med.  The beach was beautiful with soft golden sand and clear, calm waters in a protected bay.  I only had an hour until we really had to hit the road again so I savoured every moment.  Simon eventually ventured out to join me but I’m not sure he relished the fresh Mediterranean waters as much as I did?!

My view out to sea.... and below, the view back to the house

We didn’t exactly rush away from Montpellier.  We spotted a flock of flamingos on their stilt-like legs off the approach road as we arrived last night and I wanted to practise my nature shots with my new camera.  Needs some work….
The flamingos were a little far away... luckily this heron was closer:

Finally, off we went, pointing the car North-East, away from the coast in as much of a straight line towards Milan as possible.  I say it was in a straight line, but the roads themselves were anything but straight.  We both enjoyed some winding mountain roads.  It’s always best ragging a car round tight bends if it’s not yours to worry about! 

Totally at random, we wound our way to Avignon for a late lunch-time.  You know, the place famous for its pont (bridge for the non French-speakers out there) and the song about said pont! What a stunning city to happen upon.  

We had limited time so just grabbed a baguette from a patisserie and strolled around in awe of some remarkable buildings. Of course, we also made the detour so that we could say we had seen the bridge, even if we did not have time to actually go ‘sur la pont D’Avignon’!
Those people are sur la pont D'Avignon, we are mere bystanders...
The scenery became even more delightful as we continued the day’s drive into the Alps. 

Got stuck behind a bloomin' RV winding it's way around... road hog!
We were delighted that we had avoided the toll motorway.  The roads that we experienced instead led us through quaint little villages and towns full of character that we would have otherwise missed.



Finally, we reached our next Air BnB, right in the middle of the village of Embrun.  
Having tackled the language barrier in order to meet the contact securing our entry into the flat it was, for the second night in a row, somewhat disappointing.  The whole place smelt of damp and there was NO bedding or towels supplied whatsoever, and NO kettle! Another mark against using air BnB… but this one was very cheap and very convenient to explore Embrun.  The ambient temperature was suddenly a lot cooler here, up in the Alps, and we found ourselves donning jeans and fleeces for the first time since we left the UK. We headed out to find somewhere for dinner, opting for a cheap option at Jack’s burgers after which we went to a vibrant local bar and played cards whilst drinking a bottle or two of lovely local red wine. (It’s not important but I lost very badly at cards).
Embrun Square late at night

No comments:

Post a Comment