Saturday, March 10, 2018

Saturday 10th March – to Koh Samui


I had noticed that we could get a cheap ferry (about a fiver each) from the nearest point of Phangan to Samui and the crossing would only take about 45 minutes.

We awoke to our first rain since we arrived in Thailand, but everything went smoothly, from checking out at 11am to hailing a cab to Hin Rad pier and queueing straight away for the 1140am ferry.  For those of us with a slight hangover, the rolling motion of the ferry crossing was hardly ideal, but it was over fast enough to avoid any long-lasting damage.
On the way out of Phangan
A huge temple and Buddah on Koh Samui (from behind!)
They'd even reserved us a speedboat....
As we have become used to, there were plenty of taxis on offer on our arrival on Samui, this time 150 Baht each got us to our hotel – Samui Honey cottages at Choengmon Beach.  What a shame we are only able to stay here for one night.  Compared to our lodgings on Phangan, it was amazing. 
Our 'room'
We could walk straight onto the beach
And the pool
After exploring five Thai Islands I have concluded that your experience at each really depends more on the quality of resort you have booked than the location. I’m sure each island has idyllic isolated beaches whilst also having the more run down smelly towns available too – you get what you pay for.

After our late night and this morning’s rain, we were both well up for some lazing around by the pool now that the sun had made an appearance.  We had a lovely afternoon by the infinity pool by the beach.  Last coastal resort for a few days for us.  
One of the locals visited us on the beach

Having been in Thailand for over two weeks it has reinforced my feelings that I am not built to live in the tropics for two main reasons.  Firstly, I am like nectar for mosquitoes.  They bloody love me and here, especially after this morning’s rain, I have been feasted on.  The second thing is how terrible my skin gets in humid conditions.  I thought sun was meant to be good for your skin, but in this constant heat I get spots on my chin and neck with skin like a teenager.  Basically, I am covered in lumps and bumps for one reason or another.  Not attractive.  As soon as I’m in more temperate climes I hope this situation will be quickly reversed!
We had dinner underneath one of these 'teepees' on the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment