Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Wednesday 18th April – Finally doing some voluntary work – The Hunua Ranges Kokako Recovery Project


I gave myself plenty of time and took more stuff with me than anyone could possibly need. The plan was to be at the home of volunteer organiser, Willow, for 845am to meet up with other volunteers. We then lift-shared to the base location at Piggot’s campground (hut) right in the middle of the ranges.

I found myself in the middle of nowhere, or the Hunua Ranges to be precise

The hut at Piggotts campground
There, we had to bag up possum bait into 200-gram portions before we were put in pairs and allocated a couple of trails to walk.  There were eight of us in total. 

Willow said that I should go with him for my first time out so he could assess my walking abilities, but the other volunteers disagreed.  Something to do with him being known as ‘the mountain goat’ and ‘the machine’! The others worried that I may get scared off and never return again.  But, so it was that I went tramping (as it’s called in NZ) with Willow.  I was advised to take my smaller rucksack for the trek as this would limit the amount of bait, and therefore weight, that I would be able to carry.  I took ten bait bags, which along with my lunch, some water and spare clothing, didn’t weigh me down too much.

This board explains the aims of the project - to increase the kokako numbers in the Hunuas from just one breeding pair (1996) to hopefully 50 pairs by 2020.
I’ll try to explain it clearly.  There are marked trails on the Ranges, then there are the bait trails only marked on the maps belonging to the rangers and the council, and marked with bright pink ribbon and arrows attached to trees.  From what I experienced today, these trails are just about passable! I think Willow kind of eased me in gently with the first one.  It was steep to start off with but then there was a clear track to follow.  But the route back was pretty hairy as far as I was concerned. To be effective for pest control the trails need to be approximately 50 metres apart, so they must follow the contours of the land as close to the neighbouring trail as possible.  This means they may be across a stream, on a steeply slanting mountainside, have foliage covering them, or all of the above!  I was sometimes walking, sometimes sliding/falling and several times flat on my backside.  The recent heavy rains had added to the slippery conditions on the trails and although I tried my best not to stand on any exposed roots or get my ankles caught up in vines, it was nearly impossible because I couldn’t see where I was putting my feet most of the time! All of this whilst also learning how to check and restock the bait stations and set some spring traps along the lines.  I was provided with gloves for handling the bait and the stations were separated at 100m intervals along the trails.  The process was quite straight forward and there was a distinct difference between the amount of bait being taken on the boundary track (all gone) and the amount missing on the internal track we covered (minor amounts or none taken).  This would indicate that the numbers of possums, rats and ground predators are much lower within the centre of the reserve, so the poison is doing its job.  Sadly, using bait is not an instant method of pest control.  I didn’t ask for the gory details, but I will have to live with the fact that it is not a pleasant and speedy death for the target animals concerned.  However, you must balance that against the mass destruction of the native bird species that nearly wiped them out. 
Most extinctions or near extinctions in New Zealand are due to the introduction of ground predators, like possums, rats, domestic pets etc by European immigrants since the 1800s.  The large array of ground-nesting and dwelling birds in New Zealand only evolved that way because they didn’t need to worry about ground predators as none existed prior to this immigration.  You see the issue? It’s not the possums’ fault or the cats' fault.  They’re just doing what comes naturally. It’s us humans again, messing around with nature and nearly wiping out some unique and fascinating creatures that were getting on fine without our interference, thank you very much.  So, it’s a choice between controlling the predators by whatever means is currently available to us or leaving the indigenous species to perish, never to return.

A kokako (not my image!)
Enough preachy stuff, back to the trek.  Willow told me that everyone usually returns to the hut where we’d started for lunch around 130pm.  But we got delayed fixing a broken trap and, let’s face it, I probably slowed the pace down for Willow quite a lot.  So, it was 215pm by the time we got back, just under four hours after setting off!  Some of the other volunteers had already been back for an hour! I was a muddy, sweaty mess in desperate need of the cup of tea I was offered.  But, I’d made it and hadn’t given up, despite my legs telling me to several times, so I was happy with that.  As the youngest in the group I wasn’t about to get shown up by my seniors who were clearly much fitter than me!  It was definitely a good workout, no need for the gym on a tramping day.  I’d done my steps for the day and according to my Fitbit the equivalent of 71 flights of stairs. Didn’t get to see any kokako though, but I'm told that is a very rare treat. 


Having eaten my lunch, I was getting cold now we had stopped moving, so I was relieved when I was offered a lift back to my car.  It was a full day out.  I got back to the cottage about 415pm and, having peeled off my sodden clothing and dumped every last bit straight into the washing machine, I stood underneath a hot shower until I felt warmed through again.  I don’t think I will have any problems sleeping tonight.  Walking tomorrow may be an issue though…

No comments:

Post a Comment