Monday, June 5, 2017

Sunday 4th – Monday 5th June – Geneva By the Sea & the shot glass collection


There was some noisy thunder and rain overnight that disturbed us early in the morning but then we were left alone until it was time to get out of the car park at 1130am.  We had intended to head to a State Park to enjoy a couple more days of sun and lakes, but the weather this morning along with the forecast for the next couple of days changed our minds.  If we’re going to be stuck indoors, we may as well have WiFi and all mod-cons available.

We identified a Sun Resort that was also a PA site only an hour’s drive away at Geneva by the sea.  Thankfully bagging a great deal for a full hook-up for $66 for 2 nights.  Indian Creek RV resort is huge and has everything you can imagine going on, from fishing, pickleball (?!) and mini golf to an outdoor pool.  

A major success of the day was booking all the accommodation for whilst Simon’s parents are with us next week.  No risk of driving around trying to find somewhere to stay during their limited stay!  Hopefully we’ve booked a good mix of provincial parks and privately-run camp sites to give them a full taste of the RV lifestyle.

Time for further reflection, as we finally got around to unwrapping our North American shot glass collection – all 37 we have purchased so far!  To see if we have successfully covered the US and Canada in a balanced way, we attempted to place the glasses on the location of their purchase on the road atlas:

The Oz Museum in Wamego, Kansas
Florida Everglades Alligator
It is densely populated in the north-west, but it appears we neglected the deep-south slightly!  There are some classic, individual styles and many that just bring back good memories of places we have visited but nearly forgotten about already:
The Banff Beaver

The O.K. Corral in Tombstone, Arizona
It appears that Geneva doesn’t follow the conventional rules of the weather reports.  Instead of torrents of rain, the sun came out in perfect time for an afternoon swim.  Approaching the noisy and busy pool containing small children with water pistols, I was massively relieved to discover another, over-21s, adult pool behind that one – ideal!  I did some lengths and read in the sunshine until it became too cool, when I then enjoyed the site’s hot power showers.

The sunshine remained into the evening, so we took the opportunity to have a go on the 18-hole mini golf course.  I would describe my form at this game as randomly inconsistent!  But, surprisingly, I was on form tonight and despite Simon being 4 shots up at one stage, I managed to pull it back to destroy him by 2 shots!


Monday was a lot greyer, but it didn’t rain.  Having done some more blogging and RV preparation I went out on my bike to explore Geneva a little.  Sadly, there was a plague of midges that chose to join me.  I went to take in a view of Lake Erie but swarms of the bugs made it a very brief glance before I quickly moved on.


I cycled down to another lake-side park but the same problem remained.  I cycled along with one hand over my mouth and nose in case I accidentally inhaled a bug.  They were everywhere:
A tiny percentage of all of the midges out today!


I rapidly made the decision to make it a brief bike ride before heading for the shelter of the resort’s very basic ‘gym’ to continue exercising.  I love this resort – it’s got everything and seems like a proper little community with many of the mobile homes looking extremely permanent.
Spot the Harvey...

No comments:

Post a Comment