Friday, December 22, 2017

Friday 22nd December – Recovery day in Sydney



I promised to try and stay in bed as late as possible today and leave Simon be.  Then it was time to start on the mountain of washing and try to figure out why my laptop keeps crashing, stopping me from writing this very important blog, dear reader!  We’d bought enough food to keep us going and it was clearly going to be a day of settling in for Simon... he would not be setting foot outside the door.

I left it until late afternoon to go for an explore.  I started by heading up to Surry Hills where Rachel had mentioned there were good bars and restaurants.  I invested in two Opal cards which we can use on all modes of transport around the City.  Similar to oyster cards in London, this is a relatively new project in Sydney so there was no charge for the cards themselves (unlike in Melbourne) and then you top them up for travel.  Let’s see how far we can go for $20 each!

View of the City across the local park
I found myself by some parkland and ended up outside Sydney cricket Ground and the football stadium.
The Allianz Football Stadium and, below, the SCG (members' entrance don't ya know)
Aiming to head back towards the flat and go and get some treats for dinner I ended up getting totally disorientated.  The issue was that I had left my trusty phone, with data, in the flat with Simon so that he could use it to do his next Facebook update.  I was left with Simon’s phone which could only receive calls and had no data to be able to access maps!  I found myself in a shopping centre I didn’t recognise, trying to log onto their Wi-Fi and telepathically telling Simon to call me!  It must have worked as I was just considering who I would approach to confess that I was lost and ask for help when Simon rang.  Phew, I didn’t have to shame myself with a stranger! I had gone too far south and was about a mile away from the flat.  With my helpful assistant on the phone, I was directed back towards the flat.  By now I had been walking continually for about two hours. I’d definitely done my Fitbit steps for the day.  I had taken myself on a classic little Cordey adventure!

Not wanting to return home empty-handed, I headed to the supermarket and by the time I came out it was dark!  We had fajitas for dinner and a few glasses of wine.  After numerous scans and disk cleaning attempts on my laptop it appears that I can use it again, though I’m not convinced it will ever run quickly.  It was time for operation blog catch-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment