Thursday, December 7, 2017

Thursday 7th December - more issues and a big drive to Port Germein



Having had a good night’s sleep and used the shower on the camper which was actually quite nice and spacious, we were all ready to go and make up some ground after yesterday.  Except that we had a flat battery! 
It must’ve been over-use of the Wi-Fi into the night?!  I went over to reception at the truck stop to find a helpful person with jump-leads but then met Errol at a petrol pump – a very quiet mechanic.  He was unlucky to be in the wrong place at the right time for me – he had mechanic written on his van!  He came over to look at the camper but then we hit another issue – the battery was not under bonnet.  Instead of simply popping the bonnet and attaching leads you must remove a section of the passenger footwell to get to it! Errol disappeared to find the tool necessary to enable him to do this.  I felt bad for him getting stuck helping us…

As he was working I glanced along the side of the camper and noticed that the water-fill cap had gone.  I’m not sure if I didn’t attach properly last time I topped up the water or if it’s been stolen?! This was getting ridiculous.  I felt like everything I was trying to do at that moment was going wrong.  We’ve now got to return the van with a chip in the windscreen, no water cap and at that point in time the engine wasn’t even running!

One problem was resolved when Errol managed to get the engine started and we hit the road at 950am, only 50 minutes later than hoped.  Si drove the first stint while I sulked and felt sorry for myself.

We stopped off briefly in the mining town of Coober Pedy before I took over at the wheel.  Within no time at all, I managed to run over a large lizard despite trying to avoid it and fell into a depression again!  The last thing that I would want to do …. I’d slaughtered another animal, just like with the bird last night. As an animal lover, this was a real low point for me.

As we neared the coast we stopped at salt lakes (above) and some viewpoints before detouring into Woomera, the World’s largest missile test and evaluation range! Established in 1947 as a site for the launching of British Experimental Rockets, the area was also used by NASA.  The first Australian built and designed satellite was also launched from Woomera in November 1967. 























We rang ahead and booked a cheap campsite at Port Germein for the night because we definitely needed to plug-in after two nights with no power and this morning’s flat battery!  Arriving at just past 8pm, it was still light and we managed to catch sunset at lighthouse.


The temperature had plummeted, we needed to don fleeces to keep warm!  We made dinner and randomly found a Little Britain DVD that worked in the TV!  Bonus old classic comedy to relax to and I started to feel a bit more cheery…

We have a big day tomorrow – Si has plans for us to fix chip in windscreen, replace the water cap and wash the van before dropping our stuff at the Airbnb and dropping the van back.  Will they notice the fact that we’ve gone over our 3865km allowance and charge us for excess distance as well??!  Only one thing for it - we finished off the wine and cider on board so that we’d have two less things to carry tomorrow….

No comments:

Post a Comment