Sunday, July 29, 2018

Tuesday 17th to Sunday 29th July - Cats, trees, goats and waterfalls


Tuesday 17th July – SPCA volunteering

Interesting time at volunteering today. During the last week, for certain reasons that I can’t go into, one of the main call takers at the centre has resigned.  Along with some other predicted resignations and promotions, this will leave the call centre short-staffed. The Manager, Kevin, has approached all the volunteers, myself included, to ask about our plans and to inform us that some paid jobs will be advertised within the next week or two, consisting of casual roles, part-time or full-time positions. Hmmmm, I’d only said to Simon the other day how nice it would be if I could get some part-time work that let me carry on with my voluntary projects whilst bringing in a little money for us. I think I’ll sleep on it and keep an eye on my inbox! Interesting times…

Cat on a mat
Meanwhile, it has only taken three days for Lulu to figure out where the food is coming from and which house has the heating on… She’s made herself quite at home today. It’s nice to have a cat in the house again.
Trapped under a cat.... it's been a while

Wednesday 18th July – Hunua volunteering

The beautiful countryside and New Zealand weather made me stop in my tracks again on my morning commute today. As I rolled over the Bombay Hills, a carpet of fog hung mysteriously in the valley below. 

I guess possums can climb trees but why make it so hard for them?!




It nearly made me late for my day’s tramping. I covered quite a distance today and saw some bait stations hung in some very bizarre places (left). 















Having collected a great deal of weight in bait, me and one other were stuck in the car park by the falls for ages waiting for our lift out. I thought I might as well get some more pictures of the stunning falls:
 

Saturday 21st July – Kauri day at the Botanic gardens and Nathan Homestead 

There’s a very virulent pathogen attacking one of the most majestic and long-living trees in New Zealand, the Kauri. There’s a long proper Latin name for the pathogen, but in laymen’s terms it’s called Kauri dieback disease.  It enters the trees underground into their root systems so by the time a tree is showing any symptoms, a great deal of harm has already done, and the tree is effectively starved to death.  The disease is spread by long-living spores relocated in the soil. Just a pinhead of soil can contain 10,000 of these spores!  Whilst the scientists try to find a cure, Auckland council has closed the majority of tracks that go anywhere near Kauri trees to try and prevent humans being responsible for assisting the spread.
A bit of science for you.....
Today the council had organised a full day of activities to raise public awareness of the disease and the lengths they are taking to confront it. This consisted of a couple of hours in the morning at the botanic gardens which was more family-friendly, getting children to understand the importance of the trees to the whole ecosystem and planting some seedlings.

This cat will curl up anywhere!
Instead of attending this part of the day, I had arranged to meet a fellow Wednesday tramper, Robin, and her daughter Jessica for lunch in the cafe at the gardens.  After a tasty bite to eat we made our way over to Nathan Homestead where there was a joint presentation from five scientists.  They were able to explain more about the disease before each describing their specific research roles and the potential for prevention and treatment. It was fascinating. I got right into it, taking detailed notes, my mind buzzing with unanswered questions about the research. I can fully understand the importance of people like me cleaning our walking boots and equipment fully each time we go tramping, but that seems to be just one part of the issue.  Our beloved Hunua Ranges are still free of this disease and long may that situation remain. Further drastic action may be required in the not too distant future to prevent it spreading further.
 


Sunday 22nd July – CRC Speedshow at the ASB showgrounds, Auckland

The weather was looking questionable, but not to be deterred we drove up to the City in the afternoon to attend this car show. We weren’t sure what to expect but there was a good mix of exhibits inside and live action out in the arena. We got to inspect some famous vehicles from TV and the big screen – like Bond cars (below) and the DeLorean from Back to the Future. 
The Lotus Espirit from 'The Spy Who Loved Me'
The DeLorean with a Jurassic Park car and Herbie in the background and, below, the controls inside
 





Then there were some super cars (Porsche 911, right) before we moved through to some custom-built trucks and muscle cars that had to be seen to be believed.
 

A gold car and, below, the crushed velvet gold interior!
 
There was also a chance to start dreaming about the potential to return to our on-the-road lifestyle by checking out some beautiful cars and caravan combinations.
Look at this beautiful matching combination
 
Time for a coffee and a sit down to watch some professional drivers and races in the live action arena. These guys showed us some extreme close-quarters driving and somehow managed to never touch. 


The original Stig (right) being interviewed



There was also an interview with the original Stig, Perry McCarthy, who was giving some competition winners a driving lesson. At the end of the session they introduced a jet car, warning that it would be loud. Despite the warning, the volume as a jet of flame burst out of the rear of the car still made me jump out of my skin! 
Jet car - can't be that loud, right?
 

The jets afterburner fired repeatedly, forcing the car to crawl slowly about 100m across the tarmac. No, I’m not sure what all that noise and bother was about either!

200 Crown Points and level 2 achieved... whatever that means?!
Thursday 26th July – time to celebrate some personal achievements!

Despite wondering if it will ever come in useful in my life, I am still persevering with my daily Spanish commitment on Duo Lingo. It won’t mean much to you, but I have reached the milestone of achieving 200 crown points which basically means that I have completed 200 different categories and levels. I’ll have to find someone to talk Spanish with before it all falls out of my head.

It was time for my next weigh-in at the gym, where I got shock news again! However, this time in a good way – according to the evil scales I have lost 2.5 kg of fat!! I may have been working hard and trying to eat a little more healthily, but I was still very pleasantly surprised by that.  I was given a new program to keep me motivated. 

I put in my application to volunteer for a week on Tiritiri Matangi Island, an NZ bird super-haven, and even opened us a savings account, so a very productive day all round!
  





Saturday 28th July – meeting Simpson Junior

There is a long-standing annual tradition for rural families and schools in New Zealand called ‘Calf Club’.  The idea behind it is to teach children the responsibility of caring for a young farm animal which culminates in a series of events in September or October, when the kids bring their lamb, calf kid or chick along for judging in competitions. Today, I popped over to Angie’s to meet their new addition for this year. Angie and her son Callum have cared for a chicken and a calf before, but this year it is their first time to house a goat. Meet five-day-old Simpson Junior. 

They have built him a lovely pen in the garden with a cosy shelter full of hay but as it was a little nippy outside they let him inside the house while we had a cup of tea. It looks like they will have to keep an eye on him in case his taste in furniture gets worse:
 
But he also gets tired very quickly and enjoyed having a doze on my foot. Extremely cute.


Sunday 29th July – Waitawa Regional Park

This weekend’s ‘getting Simon out of the house’’ activity took us to Waitawa Regional Park.  

I had missed exploring the reserve during tree planting sessions, but we timed it just right today to enjoy some sunny views and walk along the wharf where there were plenty of people fishing. Just in time before the dark clouds gathered and doused us with rain.

 
I was sent these pics of Studsy and Ralph who have both successfully made it into the ‘Retired Police Dogs Calendar’ for 2019/2020. Glad they’re both still doing so well.


No comments:

Post a Comment