Sunday, August 5, 2018

Monday 30th July to Sunday 5th August – Getting into routine Kiwi life


Monday 30th July – Getting into a routine

My weekly routine is now pretty set – I’m a regular at bird rescue on a Monday morning, then 12 until 4pm at the SPCA contact centre on a Tuesday and tramping at the Hunua Ranges for much of the day on a Wednesday.  It’s due to stay the same throughout August really. But that doesn’t stop me from looking out for opportunities, both in volunteering and employment or further education. I keep getting over-excited about things that are way out of my league. For example, having attended that Kauri information day a week or so ago, I had an advert ping up on my Facebook timeline for a masters in Kauri dieback research. Well, I’m sure the people at Facebook aren’t spying on me or anything are they?! This was fate. I know a tiny bit about Kauri dieback now – I could learn even more and be an expert! I read more into it and even sent an email to the scientist due to make the selection. The fact that I didn’t choose to do a single semester of my degree studying plants and haven’t worked in science for the last twenty years was not enough to bring me back to reality. Hmmm, need to be a little more realistic I think!

Wednesday 1st August – 

I stopped in to visit Simpson Junior on my way home after tramping today. Angie is worried he may learn to escape from his pen.  There he was, curled up in his cosy bed but he started bleating and got up as soon as he saw me arrive. Sadly, he brought a strong odour with him and I noticed yellowy stains down his back legs. Poor Angie had him to the vets that morning with diarrhoea and is getting fed up of having to clean his backside regularly. I sent her a photo and broke the news that another clean-up was required! I swiftly made my way back home.

Cute goat.... shame about the diarrhoea
A once in a lifetime shot - this is NOT a set-up
Friday 3rd August – Payday! 

Simon gets paid every two weeks here which is a nice change from the UK. Even so, we are still finding ourselves living from one payday to the next, just about managing to eke out the cash despite not exactly living the high life. After a day of admin, shopping and a gym session we headed to see Steve and Huihana for some more darts.  Steve’s latest update on his shoulder is that he does need an operation, meaning that he’s going to be off work for a few months. Thankfully, he gets 80% of his pay through the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC), a great system in NZ that helps anyone financially after a no-fault injury. He’s just got to decide how he’s going to fill his time being stuck at home for ages!





Saturday 4th August – Waikato exploration

I attempted to go for a walk as it was a sunny day, rather than hiding away inside the gym. I drove to a point between Lake Waikare and the Whangamarino wetlands (remember that’s pronounced ‘Fangaamarino’) convinced that I’d find an obvious walking track.   

View of Lake Waikeare... and a nice house I wouldn't mind living in
I had underestimated the dimensions of the lake and discovered that most of the surrounding land was either residential or farmland. I arrived at the wetlands and found, to no surprise, that walking would not be possible due to the amount of water there!
View across the Whangamarino Wetlands
So, I drove around the lake on the scenic route and started heading back home, thinking that I would be going to the gym after all to get my exercise for the day. However, I was distracted by a brown sign drawing me towards the town of Rangiriri, home to several historically important sites, and this resulted in my day turning into more of a tour.  In fact, I found myself following a section of the suggested route of the Waikato War Driving tour. 


I stopped at Te Wheoro’s redoubt, Rangiriri cemetery (above) and Rangiriri Paa which had been recently refurbished with boardwalks added as well as listening posts (below).   



I learnt that Pukekohe East church, mere minutes from home, was completed in 1863, the year of the Waikato War and was part of the tour, so that seemed a suitable place to end my impromptu tour. It also looks a little like the church out of the Guns ‘N Roses November Rain video, so it gets extra points for that!
Pukekohe East Presbyterian Church, opened 1863
Sunday 5th August – Finding a handy spot for a Sunday roast

Today was pretty grim and rainy compared to yesterday.  Neither of us felt like doing too much so I recalled a tip from my new local hairdresser who’s told me about the cheap but decent Sunday roasts they do at the Tuakau hotel, a mere ten minutes from us.  We secured some comfy seats right by the roaring fire and enjoyed the rare treat of eating out.  It was a great tip. I can see us becoming Sunday regulars!
Roast dinner, red wine and a roaring fire? This is the stuff Sundays should be all about!

I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned that I’ve got a friend coming to stay later this year. Well, Becky has flights all booked and will be in NZ from 21st November through to the 6th December. We decided this would be a great time for her to visit as it will be summer, but everyone here will still be working or at school, so the roads and camp sites won’t be as busy.  A fortnight will not be nearly enough time to show her the whole of NZ so, in the hope that she can come back again another time, we are going to focus on the South Island this time and leave the delights of the North Island for the future.  I started putting a vague plan together but said that really, we need to get flights South and a camper booked as soon as possible, as these will only get more expensive the closer we get.  We did a Skype call tonight and managed to get return flights to Christchurch for only about £90 and choose a hi-top camper like the one Si and I drove up the west coast of Australia.  We figure that is the best combination of having separate sleeping areas for each of us whilst still being a reasonably small vehicle to have to drive around and park. Fingers crossed we get the van we’ve asked for. Exciting times! I will start looking at a route and an itinerary to make it a girlie road trip to remember! (Poor Simon will be staying put and working).

No comments:

Post a Comment