Saturday, September 15, 2018

Saturday 15th September – Last day on Tiritiri


A thrush fledgling waiting to be fed by its Mum
We awoke to a stunning day for our last one on the island. All we had to do was the troughs this morning and then our work was done, and we were free to explore! Vonny thanked us for our hard work and we were given a certificate of gratitude.

Kakariki
This may be my favourite photo of the trip - look how much this tui is enjoying drinking from this shiny, clean water bath!

Finally - a half decent photo of a whitehead!
Bellbird

Of course, we could’ve taken it easy. But who knows when I’ll get a chance to come back and visit this paradise again? So, instead we decided to walk the entire circumference of the island, including right up to the most northerly point.  There was some amazing scenery. And the best weather we’d had during the whole week (below).  It was hard going with some steep sections to negotiate so we had our doubts about what we’d taken on, but it was well worth it in the end.


Comparison of some kiwi footprints (Hilary has 'normal' sized feet!)
One last preening kokako shot...
The best tree on the island
It was a few hours until we returned to the lighthouse.  Time to do some shopping! We’d had a brief perusal of the gift shop on our arrival day and both had plans to splash out on a few goodies. I really went for it, selecting a few lightweight presents that will make lovely Christmas presents for some of the UK peeps.  Just time for a free cuppa in the visitors’ centre and it was time to load up our bags and make our way down to the wharf.  Having eaten my entire week’s supply of food (which had tided me over perfectly for my stay) I was at a loss as to how I still seemed to be carrying the same amount of stuff! 

We did the Wattle track one last time for good measure. I’ll miss the views and the birdsong from here. Arriving down at the wharf a little early we had a paddle in the shallows to check out some sealife:
The ferry arriving to take us away....
We weren't quite sure what these transparent 'eggs' were floating in the water
Anemone out of the water (above) and in the water (below)
Then it was time for the return journey to the mainland on the 330pm ferry. I said farewell to Hilz at Gulf Harbour. Hopefully we’ll keep in touch and swap some useful contacts for the future.
Tiritiri disappearing into the distance behind me.... when will I get to visit again?
Reunited with Jeff the Fiesta, he started first time and I hit the road, getting home at 530pm. Simon had clearly missed me being around. I think this week has been the longest time we have been apart since Simon went on his lads’ holiday just after we got together in 2007!

I wasn’t sure how much energy I’d have after all my fresh air, exercise and early nights this week. However, there was a rugby match on tonight! The All Blacks were playing South Africa in Nelson so it only seemed sensible to go and watch it round Steve and Huihanas’.  And what a match it was?! It went down to the wire, I was literally on the edge of my seat, but the Springboks won 36-34!! Finally, proof that the ABs ARE beatable!! I’m sure the nation will be upset, but this adds a new element of excitement to the games ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for some fantastic photos Ruth. I must try to catch up with your earlier posts. Sue x

    ReplyDelete