Thursday, September 13, 2018

Thursday 13th September - Time to find a kiwi?


Today dawned gloomier than expected.  We re-filled the troughs, then did some more drain clearing up the east coast in the morning before committing the entire afternoon to Hobbs track. We’d hoped to be able to finish the whole track in one go, but it rapidly became clear yet again that we were being unrealistic. We persevered, with new extra-sharp tools (I nearly took my finger off with a saw, but thankfully a fresh pair of gloves saved me!)  We kept going until nearly 4pm, going above and beyond our expected commitment for the day.  We had reviewed the contents of the fridges over the last few days and really needed our shared ice-cold beer at the end of the day.
Some of the track-clearing carnage....

Today was conspicuous in being the only day of my visit where I didn’t see any kokako!
 
A takahe standing in front of a pukeko for comparison!
Thankfully, the bunkhouse was much more peaceful tonight. Apart from Caitlin, Hilz and I, there were a couple of volunteers that I recognised from the 21st anniversary Kokako meeting that Chris and I had attended in Auckland. They were there to assist Caitlin with cleaning some Hihi nest boxes for the forthcoming breeding season. There was another Kiwi couple, so seven of us in total.





In discussion around the dinner table, I said I was probably planning on going Kiwi searching again but was leaving it later after our failed outing the other night. The experts suggested I should go out there and then – especially if I wanted to see penguin or tuatara (lizard) down by the wharf. There were no other takers for a walk, so off I went on my lonesome.  I had the benefit of a stiff breeze causing lots of tree noise around me.  I had barely walked 200m from the bunkhouse before I heard a significant rustling in the bushes to my left. Directing my pale red torch beam into the trees, there it was, my first wild kiwi, sloping about. I was convinced it knew I was there and would make off as quickly as possible. I dropped to my knees to allow a better view under the branches and watch its movements. Imagine my surprise when, against my instincts, the Kiwi ran towards my direction and in fact ran across the track I was on, metres away from where I crouched. You wont' be able to see anything in this video, but you can hear the kiwi running about!

What a start! I carried on down to the wharf looking for penguins, so had to do a double-take when I found instead – another Kiwi!! This was totally unexpected. A little further along I managed to see a Penguin walking along the footpath. But no Tuatara. What a successful trek out! 

That, along with all the walking I had done during the day, led to what I think is my highest step count to date – over 28,000 steps, more than 20km and nearly 4 hours of raised heart rate! (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment