Saturday, March 25, 2017

Saturday 25th March – Badlands National Park



I heard Simon’s alarm go off at 7am this morning for him to watch the Formula 1 qualifying.  I somehow managed to pull the duvet over my head and get some more sleep in.  But when I woke up about 845am he was fast asleep again so I thought I’d better leave him for a bit.

Despite the internet being rubbish last night, this morning it suddenly pulled it socks up and I got lots of blog posted – in fact I posted up to the end of February, what a feeling!  I am now hopeful that I can catch up before Stu and Jo get here in a couple of weeks.  I’m finally winning.
Simon had managed to watch most of the qualifying but it had kept freezing so that’s decision made – we’ll try somewhere else tonight in the hope of better WiFi for the race early tomorrow morning.

Dragging myself away from my laptop, we headed out around noon and I navigated Simon along a scenic route to Badlands National Park.  There were some interesting exhibits at the visitor centre informing us about how and why the land has formed as it has. About 75 million years ago a shallow sea covered this area now called the great plains.  In today’s Badlands the bottom of that sea now appears as grey-black sedimentary rock called Pierre shale. This layer is a rich source of fossils from where creatures died and sank to the bottom of the sea.  The rock layers above this tell the story of global climate change over millions of years.  

Longhorn sheep


My photos should look like this apparently.....

Mountain Bluebird
Leaving the VC we drove the 32 mile Badlands scenic byway west, containing numerous points for parking up to enjoy scenic vistas or hiking trails.  We spent about three hours exploring the park both on foot and in the RV. 


Do not adjust your sets – yes the ground really is that yellow and red (right)!  The chemicals from dying plants in a layer that was once a jungle produced a yellow soil and subsequently a red soil that were fossilised under further layers of sediment.
We then headed back towards Rapid City, passing the 17000-mile mark as we did. Having suffered bad WiFi last night I was nervous about heading to a new site, but when we arrived at Covered Wagon RV Park about 515pm, we were given a site just behind the internet antennae and I was hopeful that our quest had succeeded!  We booked in for two nights as tomorrow we will have an easy/contacting friends and family day to slow the budget down a little for the week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment