Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Wednesday 17th May – Lake Erie nature day



Insomnia struck overnight and at 430am no amount of telling myself to get back to sleep worked. I couldn’t stop myself picking up my kindle to read more of the Johnny Marr autobiography I’m currently enthralled by.  That man has worked with so many of my favourite musicians and bands in the world, it’s incredible, such a talent and he makes it sound easy.  Do I sound just a little bit jealous and/or bitter?!  It got to just before 6am and I could hear the chatter of birds outside, so I got up to see the sunrise. My view was blocked by trees from our site so I walked to the shore of Lake Erie. I took about 50 images at different stages, so I’ll try to cut it down a little….

Sunrise over Lake Erie

When the sun got too high to be able to look at any more, I thought I’d better head back to the RV.  For once, I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye.  Something was moving in the bushes and it wasn’t a bird, or a squirrel. What is THAT dangling from a branch?!


That was a treat for me, but then I noticed a much larger animal in the foliage and was delighted to see a possum along with five babies clinging onto her back, picking her way through the undergrowth.  I watched them for some time but then she brought them even closer to me.  A totally unexpected and delightful start to my day. 
All aboard!



I got back to the RV to find, unsurprisingly, that Simon hadn’t discovered me missing.  I was famished and felt very awake until I sat down and started to doze off.  Amazingly, I did manage to get back to sleep until 9-ish, so hopefully won’t be too much of a zombie for the rest of the day.
Our plan worked!  Heading back down to the front office there was no problem in us staying another night for no additional cost. But our prime location from last night was already booked, so it meant moving a couple of spaces along. No problem. Despite not having to fork out for another night camping, of course there were other essentials that had to be bought – like two bundles of firewood and an RV Christmas tree decoration for….. wherever we may be next Christmas?! 

We planned to head to the beach, especially after we’d torn ourselves away from Lake Michigan’s turquoise waters the other day. But conditions weren’t quite right today.  Gusting winds were creating sandstorms by the exposed lake’s edge and the waters looked a murky brown. Cancel that idea.

Soft-shelled turtle with a very weird nose...
Instead, I dragged Simon to the nature centre in the park which had a board walk trail a couple of miles long around the marshes.  After all, this was one of my top US ‘birding’ locations so that is what we’re here for!  Simon put on the usual pretence of being forced to do something he didn’t want to – but it didn’t stop him spotting some wildlife for us. 



Above and below are the same two birds - you'll just have to believe me - the one on the right is flirting so he goes from skinny to...... puffy! She doesn't look very impressed.

Screech owl


Another screech owl

It may have been very windy, but it was still humid.  I started to look a little pink on the shoulders and some bugs came out to start making lunch of my legs, so we had clearly spent enough time on the boardwalk!
After lunch we had a chilled out afternoon and evening.  I made chicken kebabs to cook on the fire, Si played guitar and we got excited looking at the line up and stage times for our forthcoming festival weekend.  Well, we have broken away from our old lives but we couldn’t go a whole summer without a music festival, could we?!

No comments:

Post a Comment