Sunday, December 16, 2018

Friday 7th to Sunday 16th December - Crate Day and back to work


Friday 7th December
Next day it was back to reality and back to work for me:

Can't remember why I bothered to wear uniform to work from home that day?!

Saturday 8th December – Crate day (delayed!)
A Kiwi tradition you may not be aware of is ‘Crate Day’.  The Rock radio station are responsible for inventing this day of drunkenness to celebrate the start of summer on the first Saturday of December each year.  Those astute readers amongst you will have realised that should have been last weekend then, but some of us were too busy travelling the South Island on that day.  So, we made today our crate day (postponed).  Over to the Kellas’s who had filled their oversized paddling pool:
Chillin' on an inflatable unicorn in the sunshine...

A very well-used BBQ set-up


Time for drinks, a BBQ or two in the sunshine and even a visit from a couple of extra UK visitors – Maria and Gary (from Essex) joined us on the last day of their NZ trip. No surprises, it was a suitably boozy day. I succumbed to joining in and sleeping over at the Kellas’s on this rare occasion.






Wednesday 12th December
Today I had controlled substance licensing training at Auckland Council’s base at Ardmore. The day’s course was pretty heavy going but that turned out to be nothing compared to the paperwork I now need to complete to obtain my license.  Better safe than sorry I guess, but I don’t know how I’m supposed to get someone in New Zealand to confirm they’ve known me for more than 12 months when I’ve only been in the country for 8?! Maybe I’ll wait 4 months to fill it in? For now it’s going in the ‘too hard’ pile.

I was over halfway to Waitawa at Ardmore and I was overdue to monitor the shags at the reserve. It was a glorious afternoon, and with the tide out I was able to walk along section of beach I hadn’t seen before.
A stunning afternoon. Below, low tide gave me access at beach level

No comments:

Post a Comment